File for Homestead Exemption or Revise Status Online

Did you purchase a home or move to a home in Florida, making it your primary residence?  Did you leave the state, renting a former primary residence?  Remember to file for homestead or change your status, if needed.

File Online option for Nassau County: 

“If you purchased property in calendar year 2017, you may file online beginning May 1st, 2017, for the 2018 Homestead Exemption reduction. This exemption will be reflected on your notice of proposed taxes we send out in August 2018. If you do not want to wait until May 1 you have the option to come in the office and file.”  Source: Nassau County Property Appraiser 2017.  

Homestead Exemption ( Florida Statute 196.031) is a constitutional guarantee that reduces the taxable value of residential property for qualified permanent residents.

“196.031 Exemption of homesteads.— (1)(a) A person who, on January 1, has the legal title or beneficial title in equity to real property in this state and who in good faith makes the property his or her permanent residence or the permanent residence of another or others legally or naturally dependent upon him or her, is entitled to an exemption”…. 6/6/2017

In order to apply for homestead exemption, the following documents are needed:

  • Recorded deed or tax bill in your name. (Preferably recorded deed)
  • Florida driver’s license showing permanent residence address.
    License must show permanent residence by January 1st of the filing year
  • Florida vehicle registration.
  • Nassau County voter registration card, if you are a registered voter.
  • Social Security number
  • Date of Birth
  • Property owned with dwellings outside of Nassau County: Must show proof of cancellation of any residency required exemption or homestead exemption.
  • If filing for portability: Copy of property information on previous Florida homestead.
  • If not a U.S. Citizen: Copy of residency (green) card.
  • If you are active military: Copy of L.E.S. showing Florida as state of legal residence.
  • If property is held in a trust: Must provide trust papers.
  • If filing on a mobile home: Provide certificate of registration or title to show mobile home is in your name.

All of the above information is required of both husband and wife, even if the property is in only one name.

*Pursuant to Florida Statute 196.011 (8), any applicant who is qualified to receive any exemption under subsection (1) and who fails to file an application by March 1, must file an application for exemption with the property appraiser on or before the 25th day following the mailing by the property appraiser of the notices required under s. 194.011 (1).

Leave a Reply